Decided to grow your lawn from seed instead of sod? Here are some easy steps to get you started in the right direction:
- Measure the area to be planted in feet (length x width). Example: 10 ft x 20 ft = 200 square feet. Generally, you will need approximately 1 LBS of grass seed per every 100 square feet.
- Rototill the soil of the selected area to a depth of 4-6 inches. We recommend adding MIGHTY 109 WOWZA Sod Preparation Mix to loosen soil and add needed nutrients. This can be mixed in at the time of rototilling. The soil should be loose and clod free when properly prepared.
- Level the soil and rake free of any debris. Roll the soil with a sod roller to firm the soil.
- Spread seed at recommended rate. 1 LBS seed for every 100 square feet.
- Cover the seed with MIGHTY 109 WOWZA Sod Preparation Mix. Roll the area to place the seed into the soil.
- Water thoroughly with an oscillating type sprinkler, or a professionally installed sprinkler system (recommended). KEEP MOIST UNTIL GRASS BEGINS TO SHOW (7-10 DAYS). Then, decrease watering frequency but increase the length of each watering. This helps to ensure a deep rooted, lush lawn.
- New grass seedings will emerge 5-10 days after seeding. Do not mow until your new lawn is 3 inches to 4 inches tall – usually about 3 weeks from the time of planting. Be Gentle! Keep the blade height toward the highest setting for the first several mowings. Avoid any tight turns with your lawn mower if possible.
- After the first mowing, fertilize with a quality lawn food. Apply weed and feed fertilizers after 6-7 weeks to kill any weeds that grew up along with your lawn (this is normal).
- Enjoy your work!